How Reiki Can Help Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMD)
By Lisa Foster, Reiki Master
Reiki is a Japanese stress reduction & relaxation technique that uses your own bodies energy to help to heal itself. Reiki is a subtle, yet powerful modality that can help alleviate Stress, Pain and Balance the bodies energy.
Reiki is a simple, non-invasive technique and the energy goes to the Root Cause of the discomfort, illness and disease. The Reiki practitioner acts as a conduit for the healing energy which passes through his/her hands. It is the patients Higher Self that draws the energy in through the practitioner and their Higher Self knows where the higher vibrational healing energy is needed.
How Reiki Healing Can Help You Release Emotional and Physical Pain
During a Reiki treatment we partake in discovering healing and balance by directly connecting with our source. This source is not some separate location or place of origin, far removed in time and space. It is that which we are in every moment, yet fail to notice because we cling to so many limited concepts about ourselves, most often not even feeling our own presence.
Sometimes defeating concepts and beliefs prevent us from appreciating our true nature. Because of their constant agitation we experience mental and physical imbalances, which inevitably manifest as degeneration and disease.
Through the use of Reiki healing, we can prevent ourselves from straying further from the source. We heal ourselves through the direct application of the source’s very own energy in the body. In this way, Reiki heals us from the depth of our own being: kindly, gently, and without undue imposition. If we permit ourselves to surrender and feel the flow of universal life force energy as it recharges our own life force, a Reiki healing treatment turns into a very comforting, nourishing, and pleasing experience. Afterwards we feel more at one with ourselves, more vibrant, and more alive.
Because the mind is contained in the entire body, illness in any one spot is an indication of a specific energetic block. For example, the experience of grief can create arthritis in the joints, and so forth. When you target concentrations of negative emotional or mental energy with universal life force energy you can help eradicate disease in the body.
To treat a mind with Reiki healing is to liberate the mind from the shackles of long-buried memories, traumatic experiences, and painful emotions. When exposed to the love and transforming power of universal life force energy, these remnants of old traumas and misunderstandings are released. We also cease clinging to them, because Reiki permeates both the clinging and the one who clings. By treating the mind in this way, we express our desire for freedom in practical terms by fully accepting things as they are. When we accept things as they are, we disregard the impulse to try and destroy the ego.
Reiki energy helps to alleviate pains and discomforts on all levels of physical, mental/emotional and spiritual levels. Having your Chakras balanced – creates a whole body balance, when one chakra is out of balance, there is a reaction such as a “ripple effect” throughout the other chakras. As each one are connected on all the levels.
The Throat Chakra
This chakra is our will center. The healthfulness of the fifth chakra is in relation to how honestly one expresses himself/herself. Lying violates the body and spirit . We speak our choices with our voices (throats). All choices we make in our lives have consequences on an energetic level.
Even choosing not to make a choice such as in repressing our anger (not speaking out) may manifest into laryngitis. We have all experienced that “lump in our throats” when we are at a crossroad of not knowing how to speak the right words in any given situation, perhaps even stuffing our own emotions. A challenge of the throat chakra is to express ourselves in the most truthful manner. Also to receive and assimilate information. Seek only the truth.
Chakra Five – Associations
- Color – light blue
- Sanskrit Name – vishuddha
- Physical Location – throat, neck region
- Purposes – learning to take responsibility for one’s own needs
- Spiritual Lesson – confession, surrender personal will over to divine will, faith, truthfulness over deceit
- Physical Dysfunctions- sore throat, mouth ulcers, scoliosis, swollen glands, thyroid dysfunctions, laryngitis, voice problems, gum or tooth problems, TMJ
- Mental and Emotional Issues – personal expression, creativity, addiction, criticism, faith, decision making (choices), will, lack of authority
- Information Stored Inside Throat Chakra – self-knowledge, truth, attitudes, hearing, taste, smell
- Area of Body Governed – throat, thyroid, trachea, neck vertebrae, mouth, teeth, gums, esophagus, parathyroid, hyper/o-thalemus
Reiki promotes self-healing:
- letting go of limiting conscious and sub-conscious thoughts and feelings,
- creates forward movement in your life,
- improves immunity, and is a holistic approach if you are under the care of a medical provider.
- Note: Reiki is not a substitute for medical care.
- stress reduction, stress-related aliments
- depression, anxiety, living with chronic conditions
- emotional balancing, self-esteem, mental clarity
- pain reduction or elimination, releasing tension in the body
- maintaining general wellness
- sexual/physical/emotional abuse, trauma, grief
- pre and post surgery (relaxation before surgery, reduce recovery time, and help with pain management) help
- to reduce side effects of medications or treatments (including individuals with cancer), mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual healing
Treating TMJ with The Personal REIKI Program
A typical Reiki treatment involves the client lying on a massage table, or sitting comfortably in a chair, fully clothed within the relaxing confines of a treatment room. On lying down on the treatment table the client may be asked to close their eyes while taking a series of slow deep breaths, focusing on the feeling of relaxation as the breath leaves the body during exhalation.
At the same time the Reiki practitioner will connect and become attuned to the clients energy by closing their own eyes, and gently resting their hands on, or slightly above the clients body. The practitioner may then perform a series of stationery hand positions, usually starting at the head and working down the body. The hands are placed on, or just above the body, depending on the area being worked on and the comfort of the client.
Beyond Lotus Touch offers the opportunity to experience Reiki, in a very relaxing, unique atmosphere.
It is recommended that you do 4 Reiki sessions within 1 month, followed by bi-weekly to eventually monthly Reiki sessions.
The first session is generally 90 Minutes – involves a brief consultation to answer any questions and to fill out an information form, which allows the Reiki practitioner to become familiar with what ailments the client may have. The Chakra Balancing Technique, Head to Toe, Front/Back Full body treatment – which helps the body to become acclimated to the Reiki Energy.
The second, third and fourth session is generally 75 minutes long, again a Full Body treatment is performed along with a Chakra Balancing and the practitioner will focus on the Fifth chakra known as the Throat Chakra. Hand positions on the locations of Ears, Throat, Jaw, Neck and Shoulders.