– 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
– 1/2 cup yellow onion – diced
– 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
– 1 tablespoon tomato paste
– 1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth
– 6 sprigs cilantro
kosher salt to taste
-1 package tortilla strips
– 1 cup turkey, dark or white meat – diced
– 3/4 cup tomatoes – diced
– 1/2 cup frozen corn
– 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until just soft and beginning to brown. Approximately 5 minutes.
Add chili powder and tomato paste, stirring continuously 15-30 seconds.
Don’t let chili powder scorch.
Pour in chicken broth and scrape bottom of pan with spoon to loosen cooked bits.
Add cilantro sprigs and bring soup to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, until broth has reduced by approximately 1/3 (20-30 minutes).
Take out cilantro sprigs and season to taste with salt.
Add turkey, tomatoes, and beans; heat through.
Put in bowls, top with tortilla strips.
Garnish with avocado, cheese, cilantro and dollops of sour cream. Add lime slices if desired.