- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2 small fresh red chili peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemon grass
- 2 1/8 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and butter over low heat. Cook garlic, shallots, chilies, and lemongrass in oil until fragrant (be careful not to burn the garlic). Stir in chicken stock, coconut milk, and pumpkin; bring to a boil. Cook until pumpkin softens.
- In a blender, blend the soup in batches to a smooth or slightly chunky consistency, whatever you prefer. Serve with basil leaves.
This goes particularly well with curry – if you’d like, you can add a spoonful of red curry paste. Another traditional thing you can add is cooked shrimp and/or lime juice.
Do you have a favorite pumpkin soup recipe you can share?