Having jaw surgery can be daunting, but if you go into the experience knowing what to expect, and being prepared for everything you will be going through, it will be a much smoother experience. Sharing tips with your fellow patients is also a great way to learn, since those who have been through the procedures can tell you what it was like and what they would do differently. Here are a collection of questions you need to ask when you are considering having TMJ surgery:
Know the Basics
- Why do I need to have this procedure?
- Exactly what surgery are you recommending?
- Are there any alternatives that are non-surgical?
- Will my insurance cover this?
- If not, how much will it cost?
Make a Pros & Cons List
I suggest making a list of the pros and cons of having the surgery. The following questions will help you put this list together.
- What are the benefits of having this surgery?
- What are the risks?
- What would happen if I decide not to have the operation?
- What are the success rates for this procedure? What are the success rates for any alternatives?
- What will happen if it does not work?