18 Important Questions to Ask Before You Have TMJ Surgery
Having jaw surgery can be daunting, but if you go into the experience knowing what to expect, and being prepared for everything you will be going through, it will be a much smoother experience. Sharing tips with your fellow patients is also a great way to learn, since those who have been through the procedures can tell you what it was like and what they would do differently. Here are a collection of questions you need to ask when you are considering having TMJ surgery:
Know the Basics
- Why do I need to have this procedure?
- Exactly what surgery are you recommending?
- Are there any alternatives that are non-surgical?
- Will my insurance cover this?
- If not, how much will it cost?
Make a Pros & Cons List
I suggest making a list of the pros and cons of having the surgery. The following questions will help you put this list together.
- What are the benefits of having this surgery?
- What are the risks?
- What would happen if I decide not to have the operation?
- What are the success rates for this procedure? What are the success rates for any alternatives?
- What will happen if it does not work?
Read More »18 Important Questions to Ask Before You Have TMJ Surgery