- 1 loaf (1 pound) white bread, cut in small cubes (about 10 to 12 cups cubes)
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus about 2 to 3 teaspoons for greasing the pan
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 8 ounces ground pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled leaf rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Heat oven to 350°. Butter a 13×9-inch baking pan.
In a large skillet, melt butter; add onion and celery. Saute the vegetables, stirring, until just tender. Add sausage and cook, breaking the sausage up with a spatula, until cooked through.
In a large bowl combine the vegetable and sausage mixture with the bread cubes and seasonings. Stir and add chicken broth until well moistened but not mushy. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add the apples and cranberries then stir in the egg until well blended. Pat into the prepared pan and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and broil just until lightly browned.