- 1/4 pound Butter
- 3/8 cup or 3 ounces Onion – small dice
- 3/8 cup or 3 ounces Celery – small dice
- 3/8 cup or 3 ounces Carrots – small dice
- 1/4 cup or 2 ounces Green Peppers – small dice
- 1/2 cup or 4 ounces Flour
- 1 1/2 quarts Chicken Stock
- 5/8 pound Sharp Cheddar Cheese – shredded
- 1/2 quart Half and Half
- 6 ounces Beer – Dark (Newcastle Brown Ale works very well!)
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
Saute vegetables for 5 minutes.
Add flour, stir until well blended…approximately 2-3 minutes.
Add chicken stock. Gently boil for 7 minutes, stirring.
Add cheese and half and half, mixing well. Heat to a simmer, stirring frequently.
Puree until smooth with immersion blender or regular blender.
When cheese is completely melted, add beer and heat until hot, stirring frequently.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
What would you serve with this? My first thought is some sort of veggie to cut the richness of the cheese… you could definitely add broccoli.