With the incredibly windy, cold weather here in Georgia and all over the US, we thought some nice, warm comfort foods were in order.. Enjoy!
Herbed Oatmeal Bread
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 cup rolled outs (not quick or instant oats, but regular)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 pkgs. active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 7 Tbsp. butter, melted
Grease two 8″ square cake pans and set aside. Bring water and orange juice to a boil in medium saucepan and stir in rolled oats. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup butter. Cool to lukewarm.
Combine 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sugar, salt and yeast in large bowl. Add cooled oat mixture and egg, and beat until blended. With spoon, stir in enough flour to form a stiff dough. On floured surface, knead in enough flour until dough is firm, yet smooth and elastic, about 5-6 minutes.
Shape dough into a ball & put in greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough and press into prepared pans.
Cut diagonal lines into bread, about 1-1/2 inches apart, cutting completely through the dough. Repeat in opposite direction, forming a diamond pattern. Cover and let rise in warm place until light and doubled, about 35-45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In small bowl, combine cheese, basil, oregano and garlic salt. Spoon 2 Tbsp. of the melted butter over each pan of dough and bake for 15 minutes. Brush remaining 3 Tbsp. butter over partially baked pans of bread and sprinkle with cheese-herb mixture.
Bake an additional 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove bread from pans and cool.
Quick Tuscan Chicken Soup
- 2 cups diced roasted chicken (Tip: Grab a pre-cooked whole chicken from the market on your way home to save time)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup frozen carrots and peas (you can also use any of your favorite frozen veggies)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (32 ounce) carton College Inn Bold Stock Rotisserie Chicken
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Cook chicken and onion in oil in a large saucepan for 3 minutes (less if you are using pre-cooked chicken).
2. Add peas and carrots and stock.
3. Simmer 5 minutes.
4. Garnish with chopped fresh basil and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
What are your favorite TMJ friendly comfort foods?
[fblike style=”standard” showfaces=”false” verb=”recommend” font=”arial”] [fbshare type=”button”] [twitter style=”horizontal” source=”@tmjhope” text=”TMJ friendly comfort food ~ oatmeal herb bread & Tuscan chicken soup..Yum! :)” float=”left”]